Get up, Cincinnati! Here’s everything you need to know to get your Monday off to a good start.
First, today’s weather forecast:
Cool with clouds and sunshine. Top: 35 Bottom: 12.
Here are the top 4 stories in Cincinnati today:
- Enrollment in Catholic schools is beginning to rebound in some of the nation’s largest dioceses, including the Archdiocese of Cincinnati. For its size, Queen City has a “disproportionate number of Catholic students,” according to the National Catholic Educational Association. This year, Catholic schools in Cincinnati have nearly 40,000 students enrolled, representing a 1.5 percent increase from the previous year. However, that could change as the archdiocese continues its process of consolidating Cincinnati’s more than 200 parishes into just 53 “families.” (The Catholic Telegraph)
- Police are still looking for two suspects who allegedly assaulted a Wendy’s employee nearly two months ago and are now facing felony charges. On December 10, 2021, two women walked into Wendy’s in Glenway Plaza to confront an employee about how their food was delivered to them at the drive-thru counter. The employee suffered a broken leg and a torn ligament as a result of the altercation. Police are asking anyone able to identify the suspects in surveillance video to call District Three at (513) 263-8300. (WLWT Cincinnati)
- On Saturday, Cincinnati police arrested a suspect linked to a fatal October shooting in Over-the-Rhine. Quintin Stanley, 32, has been arrested on an open murder warrant in the death of Arthur Campbell, 38. Stanley allegedly shot Campbell in his car at 43 E. McMicken Ave. the morning of October 17. (WCPO)
- It looks like a cold, cloudy week in Cincinnati. Temperatures will hit the 30s and low 40s over the next few days, with winds gusting up to 17 mph. (Cincinnati crest)
From our sponsor:
Today Cincinnati Daily is brought to you in part by Newrez, one of the nation’s leading mortgage lenders. Make a smart move for your future and refinance with Newrez today. Call 844-979-1707 to get in touch with a Newrez loan officer. Newrez, LLC (NMLS #3013)
Today in Cincinnati:
- Mayor’s Court At the Municipal Building of Golf Manor (11:30 a.m.)
- Planning Commission and Zoning Appeal Commission Meeting At the Municipal Building of Golf Manor (1:30 p.m.)
- Centenary meeting At the Mariemont council chamber (5:30 p.m.)
From my notebook:
- The Cincinnati Children’s Theater has shared some photos from its current production of “Matilda the Musical Jr.” The show runs until February 13, so get your tickets now! (Instagram)
- Many big Cincinnati-area high school basketball games are happening this week, including one tomorrow between the Cincinnati College Preparatory Academy Lions and the Gamble Montessori High School Gators. (Cincinnati crest)
- Do you like fashion and advertising? stop the Mary R. Schiff Library and Archives to view a small selection of fashion illustrations by Cincinnati artist Romilda Dilley (1910-2008). An accomplished illustrator and painter, Dilley was the chief artist and art director of Jenny’s department store in downtown Cincinnati from 1948 to 1956. (Facebook)
More from our sponsors – please support the local news!
Do you like the Cincinnati Daily? Here are all the ways you can get more involved:
- Send this link to a friend or neighbor so they can subscribe
- Get your local business listed in front of readers
All right, all is well for today. I will see you soon!
— Sean Peek
About me: Sean Peek is a writer and entrepreneur with an English Literature degree from Weber State University. Over the years, he has worked as a writer, editor, SEO specialist and marketing manager for various digital media companies. He is currently the co-owner and operator of content creation agency Lightning Media Partners.